PROF. JOÃO ALBINO SILVA
Green Lines Institute is pleased to announce that Professor João Albino Silva is the invited keynote speaker at TOURISM 2017.
João Albino Silva is Full Professor at the Faculty of Economics, University of the Algarve (Portugal), since 1998. He holds a PhD in Economics. Among the years, he has been responsible for several positions:
- Aggregation in Tourism Economics;
- Head of the Economics Department, Faculty of Economics since 2014;
- President of Scientific Committee of this Faculty (1999-2013);
- President of the National Assessment Committee for Tourism University Programs - Agency for Assessment and Accreditation of Higher Education (A3ES) (2010-2015), Portugal;
- Director of the PhD Program in Tourism, University of the Algarve (2007- );
- Member and responsible for the scientific area “tourism and wellbeing” of the Research Center on Spatial and Organizational Dynamics (CIEO/FCT 2011- ).
His research areas of interest are related to Tourism Planning, Management and Development, Quality and Management of Tourism Destinations, Economics of Tourism and Environment. He has got several authored books (research based) and articles published in International and National In-the-Field Journals.
A TOURISM DESTINATION QUALITY ÍNDEX: A CASE IN ALGARVE, PORTUGAL
Research on the quality of destinations has been developed from the tourists' perspective, and a more holistic view is necessary for integrated destination planning. This implies cooperation among multiple stakeholders and the sustainable use of resources. The purpose of this study is to establish a conceptual model to measure the quality of destinations, considering the concepts of governance, sustainability, and tourist experience. According to the index, that used data from Algarve region, the performance of a destination depends on these three main dimensions, each one measured by a set of subdimensions that were weighted by an international expert panel. The result provides guidelines for transfer of knowledge to the main destinations stakeholders.